March 26, 2010

The Prerequisite For Growth

Just the other day I was talking with a friend who has really been struggling with some stuff over the last several months. Long story short, there has been some conflicts in his life that he has tried to work on, but he doesn't seem to be able to make any headway with the others involved. At the same time, the issues are not just things he could walk away from. So he's learned some of the lessons that you can only learn through perseverance. As we talked, he made this statement to me, "I'm glad this junk didn't get resolved 3 or 4 months ago because I wouldn't have learned the lessons that I've learned." Wow, talk about getting some perspective. How many of us can say we're glad that some of the junk in our life won't go away because we're learning from it?

In the course of the conversation, I had this thought: The only reason he has grown in this is because he was willing to admit he had room to grow. In the process of this conflict, he has recognized his part and talked about how he messed up, & that's the difference: humility. You cannot grow without humility. Humility is a prerequisite for growth. Pride says, "I have it all figured out", "I'm right", "I don't have to change". Meanwhile humility says, "I don't have all the answers", "I could be wrong, stranger things have happened, or "I still have a long way to go".

How many opportunities have we missed out where God really wanted to teach us something or stretch us, but because we were too proud to admit our need to grow, we let it slip through our hands?

No comments: