March 21, 2010

25 Random Things

1) These folks are on heavy rotation on my iPod right now: The Band, U2, Andy Stanley, Bela Fleck, Eric Clapton, Carlos Whittaker, Randy Newman, The Allman Bros. Band.

2) My latest obsession is 24 (Yeah, I know it's been on TV for like 7 or 8 years)

3) I've met a few "famous" people. My coolest brushes with celebrities were meeting Steven Curtis Chapman & his wife in a bookstore in my hometown & meeting John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin (my favorite band ever).

4) Some ministry goals include doing ministry on every continent, preaching at FBC Jackson (they helped giveme a great start), & speaking at Global Youth Camp (led by my mentor Roger Glidewell).

5) One of my childhood obsessions was The Dukes of Hazzard.

6) Some of my favorite meals are Enchilasagna (my wife makes it...awesome), BBQ, & fresh seafood.

7) I received an A in a class that I never attended in college. Thanks to whoever that professor was!

8) I've swam in the Arctic Ocean

9) Never tried sushi until a couple months ago, & it was in Bentonville, Arkansas. Something tells me that probably wasn't the best place to have my first sushi experience.

10) Some of my best memories include: grilling out & taking roadtrips to the Swamp with Clayton, Larry, Ben, & Andrew, staying up way too late & causing trouble at the Renaissance Hotel in Atlanta with Nick, Colin, Evan, Lane, & Jared, & having deep conversations in the early morning hours with Andy Dodd & Stan Key.

11) If I weren't in ministry I'd probably be a lawyer or politician (weird huh?).

12) If you made me pick an absolute favorite movie, it would have to be The Shawshank Redemption.

13) If you made me pick an absolute favorite book, it would have to be The Lord of the Rings for fiction & Visioneering for nonfiction.

14) I love studying history. When you dig beneath the bare-bones stuff they cover in textbooks, you get a much bigger & more human picture of the events that shaped the world in which we now live.

15) I was honored to be asked to participate in the memorial service for a member of the 82nd Airborne Division who jumped into Sainte Mere Eglise on the night leading up to D-Day in WWII.

16) I've sung "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" at the top of my lungs with a couple of other guys in a totally empty Wrigley Field. One of the guys climbed in a dumpster outside the stadium to get a piece of the old grass that had recently been replaced. I settled for a chunk of brick that was broken off the wall behind homeplate.

17) The first song I learned to play on guitar was "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". Sad, but true.

18) I preached my first sermon on March 19, 1995, the day after Michael Jordan returned to the Chicago Bulls. It's weird how you remember some things.

19) I've been to a lot of concerts. The most surprisingly good one was Fleetwood Mac's reunion tour that I wasn't even planning to go to & the most disappointing was one of the times I went to see Eric Clapton. Even my dad, who thinks Clapton is the man, would tell you something wasn't right about that show.

20) If I had to recommend one band to you that you've most likely not heard of, it would New Grass Revival.

21) I went to college less than a mile from where I went to high school. It may seem kinda sad to you, but it was definitely the right choice.

22) Growing up my family owned a piano that no one could play. Seriously, nobody had a clue about that thing. Plus it was in a room that you pretty much couldn't get in because it was so junky. Never understood why that thing came into our house. My day probably wonders about that too.

23) I just noticed that I have dried snot on my leg, presumably from one of my children.

24) I regularly volunteer to clear the table & do the dishes after dinner, but only because bathtime for the kids follows dinner, & I'd rather wash dishes than my kids. Bathtime makes me crazy.

25) I have asphalt embedded in my hands & feet from two separate incidents, one that involves being dragged behind a truck. Painful is an understatement.

No comments: