August 21, 2009

Are You A Drunk?

I ran across a verse in Ephesians 5 that reminded me of another passage in Acts. In Ephesians, Paul warns believers not to get drunk on wine because of where it leads. Instead, he says "be filled with the Spirit." That reminded me of an incident in the lives of the apostles back in Acts 2. On the day of Pentecost, the followers of Jesus were accused of being drunk, but in reality they had been filled with the Holy Spirit. Is it possible that a drunk & a truly faithful, Spirit-filled believer aren't that different?

After all, Paul compared the two. The crowd at the temple in Jerusalem mistook the apostles for a bunch of crazy drunks too. Next week, I'll point out some of the similarities between the two. Paul didn't warn people away from alcohol & toward sobriety. Instead he encouraged them to be filled with something else that is powerful enough to make you do stuff that's crazy! Next week, I'll point out some glaring similarities between the boozer & the spirit filled disciple of Christ. These are going to be posts about whether or not believers should drink or not. I'm not going there. Instead of focusing on the prohibitive part of Paul's writing, I want us to really consider the alternative that Paul encouraged all believers to partake of.

No comments: