May 11, 2009

Got Wisdom?

Lately I've been reading a good bit in & out of the Bible about wisdom. The other day I ran across an interesting little passage in scripture that should be of great encouragement to those of us who still like to think of ourselves as "young".

Psalm 119:99-100: "I have more insight than my teachers, for Your words are my meditation. I have more understanding than the elders because I have observed Your law."

I don't know about you, but I was always told that wisdom & understanding come with age & experience, but the Bible teaches that there is a lot more to it than simply circling the sun for a long time. According to the Bible, wisdom & understanding comes from knowing & obeying God's word. So the way I see it, someone who is 60 years old can still be making mistakes they were making at age 20. And a 25 year old can learn from his mistakes at 20 & begin to obey God's word & be wiser yet half the age of the 60 year old. Being old doesn't make you wise. It might just make you an old idiot!

I'll go into that a little more this week. But for me, it's great to know that I don't have to wait until I'm old to find wisdom. I can find more & more of it simply by obeying the word of God. What do you think?

No comments: