December 29, 2009

Favorite Books of 2009

In the last few years, I've really redeveloped the discipline of reading. When I was a kid, I was a voracious reader (reading builds vocabulary). I read everything from astronomy, to biographies, to the classics. As I got a little older, I became the classic teenager who thought reading was boring & who didn't have time to read. However, as I got even older I began to understand I couldn't afford not to read. I could go on & on about how much I believe one's leadership is directly connected to one's discipline of reading, but I'll save that for another day. Today I want to share a handful of my favorite books from my 2009 reading list. I'll also include some of the books that are already on my 2010 list that I think would be worth your time. Tomorrow I'll put my entire 2009 reading list up for you to give you more ideas of some good titles to read this next year.

1) Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs by Bill Hybels
-Great insights from one of the great long term ministry leaders in America.

2) Killing Cockroaches by Tony Morgan
-Awesome, humorous insights from one of the most refreshing voices in ministry leadership.

3) The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
-Every year I try to read not only new books, but some classics. Tozer's is by far the best I've read this year. Both poetic & profound.

4) Primal by Mark Batterson
-I was fortunate to get an advance copy from the publisher, & this is an amazing book. Put it at the top of your list for 2010.

5) Visioneering by Andy Stanley
-I read this book every year; it's that good.

6) The Book of Judges
-This was the most profound Scripture that I studied all year.

7) Peterman Rides Again by J. Peterman
-Yes, it's that J. Peterman, the one from Seinfeld. Actually, it's the real guy that the character was based on. I received this book years ago & had never read it. I decided to pick it up, & it turned out to be one of the more interesting & unique books that I read this year.

8) 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell
-I'm sort of embarrassed to put this on the list because until this year I hadn't read this classic leadership book. I can't say anything about it that hasn't already been said. It's great!

9) 1st & 2nd Maccabees from the Apocrypha
-These books chronicle some of the historical events that take place in the 400 year gap between the Old Testament & the New Testament. There's some really great historical stuff going on during that period, & if you've ever wondered where Hanukkah came from, go read these two books.

10) Tribes by Seth Godin
-Just finished this one Sunday evening, & it was great. Seth Godin is a leadership/business/marketing guru who is a wealth of insights both in his books & his blog. Anyone in any area of leadership should pick this one up.

Going into 2010, here are a few books I'm looking at reading in addition to my seminary texts: The Art of War by Sun-Tzu, Animal Farm by George Orwell, The Daily Sacrifice by H.A. Ironside, & God's Pursuit of Man by A.W. Tozer.

What books did you read & love this year? Which one's actually surprised you?

No comments: