June 16, 2009

What I'm Reading

A lot of my students are amazed that I read. I know it sounds weird, but there is a whole generation who has sort of been turned off to books. As a result, I've found myself becoming a champion of reading for these students. I encourage them to frequent blogs (the good ones, not just any old blog) as well as actually picking up a book & reading it. So I get asked a good bit about what I'm reading, so here's a list of what I'm reading now & what I've recently finished.

From the Bible, I'm currently reading through Judges & Proverbs. I just finished reading through Luke. Luke has some amazing attention to detail in his Gospel.

Otherwise I'm reading through a couple of books. I just started The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis yesterday. Like a lot of stuff by Lewis, I'm having to take it slow & really digest what he's saying, but it's a timely read. Much of it focuses on how education is eroding, sometimes intentionally, sometimes inadvertently, values that were once considered universal. I'm also doing some reading in a little book I found called The Daily Sacrifice by H.A. Ironside, a pastor, teacher, & author from the early 20th century. The book is a simple devotion book for each day of the year. It caught my attention because I remember my pastor referring to Ironside when I was a kid in church. I just finished reading 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader. Good stuff from the leadership guru. I also just re-read Visioneering. I read this book every year; it's that pivotal.

In the blog world, there are a few people I read practically everyday. First, Mark Batterson. Mark's blog is a good mix of personal stuff, spiritual insights, & leadership tips. Mark is a voice that I listen closely to. Also, Perry Noble. I always know I'm going to get unfiltered, honest opinions & insights from Perry, & we all need someone like that. I also regularly check in with people like Anne Jackson, Steven Furtick, & Tony Morgan.

If you haven't picked up these books check them out. If you're not gleaning from others through blogs, start checking out the web for people from whom you can learn.

What are you guys reading? What blogs do you follow? How do you discipline yourself to learn from others?

No comments: